The Deichman library finally opened its doors to the public on the 18th. June. With six floors of literature, reading and study spaces, stages, a cinema hall and workshops, this will be Oslo’s entire main library. In the library’s children’s department, Wooldot has delivered over 90,000 balls of wool in 11 shades of blue. These are glued to the wall with sustainable glue from Dana Lim.
90,000 balls of wool, 100% wool from Nepal, 100-150 hours of handwork, 11 shades of blue; there are some keywords that describe the children’s department at the new Deichman library in Bjørvika. A creative playroom in blue that is both aesthetically pleasing to look at, and at the same time a healthy and comfortable room to stay in.
Wool from Nepal in shades of blue
Wooldot is a Danish design business with partners in Nepal, with high-quality production in Kathmandu. They are the leading manufacturer of wool balls and other products made from 100% wool from Nepal. CEO, Stefan Huulbæk, in Wooldot says:
– Wooldot works with traditional craftsmanship. It takes up to 45 hours to make field balls and 30 hours to sew the balls together to make a blanket. All our products are made from 100% wool and dyed with non-toxic, hypoallergenic AZO-free dyes.
Wooldot has delivered 90,000 balls of wool to the library’s children’s department. The half balls of wool are glued to the walls in the room with transparent glue from Dana Lim. Stefan explains that it was an unusual job:
– It took over 100 – 150 hours to glue the balls of wool on a 45 square meter wall. The balls are in 11 shades of blue – from light to dark blue.
Strong and sustainable
Furthermore, Stefan says that it is the first time they have carried out such a large job, and were therefore looking for an extremely durable and strong glue that is also gentle on the users of the room:
– After some research, I found Dana Lim’s 509 narrow joint. This is strong, while being gentle on the environment and the users of the room. He continues:
– The narrow joint from Dana Lim met our requirements. After many hours of manual work, we are incredibly satisfied with the end result. It has become a room with a playful expression where children can thrive in safe and healthy surroundings.
Rune Ludvigsen, Country Manager at Dana Lim Norway, adds that it is important as a supplier to the construction industry to take its share of environmental responsibility:
– We have a great responsibility to contribute to healthy buildings where the users feel comfortable. Narrow joint mass 509 is classified for Nordic Ecolabelled buildings and is therefore a sustainable and environmentally friendly adhesive that contributes to a healthy indoor climate. It is great fun to be a supplier to such a colorful project.
Do you have questions?